What I am reading on my way to work. Because you care.


Saturday, April 01, 2006

Brimstone and Pendergast. And D'Agosta.

I finished up Brimstone last week; the first in which Ace tells me is a Pendergast trilogy (if I remember correctly).

Let me say, holy shit. I think I've deduced on why I like Preston and Child so much (at least their books with Agent Pendergast playing a major role):

The plots have been supernatural without being supernatural.

Now, don't get me wrong, I dig a good supernatural book. Hell, I am a big fan of horror.

But with the Preston and Child novels, even though it seems to dance the supernatural line, the reasoning is usually sound.

Okay, okay, so there was a guy who lived like a hundred or so years in The Cabinet of Curiosities, but even that had a relatively good explanation. It's kind of like "Millennium" compared to "The X-Files." Preston and Child would be closer to a "Millennium" episode, rather than "X-Files".

But, back to the book. One of it's strengths is D'Agosta is back working with Pendergast, and it's pretty damn cool since they are both so different, but work so well together. Of the books I've read in this universe, I've not seen D'Agosta since Relic, so him coming back, and being heavily involved, was a good thing.

The downside to the novel, though, is a side story involving a released-convict-turned-preacher. In the grand scheme of things, it didn't further the book along at all. It just seemed to be filler.

I can only assume that my questions will be answered in the next book in the series. The name of the next book escapes me, but it's floating around here somewhere.

And I really hope the next book answers at least one of my questions. The ending of Brimstone is a kicker.