What I am reading on my way to work. Because you care.


Sunday, January 22, 2006

Let's try this again.

I've started reading Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves again.

I had heard a lot about this book and I had never picked it up until two of my friends, GirlGhost and Shiki, recommended it highly as well.

The first time I attempted to read it, I tore into it, and thought it was great. Very well written and creepy as hell. But it is also nonlinear as fuck, and therein laid the problem.

If I had known how this book was written before going in, I could have mentally prepared myself for it. But since I had no clue (and expected a pretty straightforward book), I was thrown. And I had to put it down halfway through because of the way it is written, not due to lack of enjoyment. I just couldn't keep up.

Those of you have read House know what I'm talking about. Add to that I have ADD, and things get really fucking complicated.

But ever since I put it down a couple months back, I've been thinking about it.

So I picked it up again yesterday and started reading. I think this time I'm going to keep a notebook handy to write down who's who and what's what. Hell, maybe I'll even buy one of those nifty moleskin notebooks that Neon and Lesley rave about.

Either way, I am ready to try this again.