What I am reading on my way to work. Because you care.


Monday, August 28, 2006

Sex, Blood and Rock 'n' Roll.

Horrorfind weekend has come and gone, and, once again, I am riddled with new authors.

I love Horrorfind. It's the only time of year I can completely dork out, and it's acceptable. Not that I have any problem dorking out any other time of the year.

I've been turned on to some pretty amazing authors at HF: Brian Keene, Jack Ketchum and JF Gonzalez, among others. And let's not forget awesome book companies like Cemetery Dance.

Well, this year I helped run the table for Timewarp Films, and at the table right next to Timewarp's was a woman pimping her first novel, "Sex, Blood and Rock 'n' Roll." Always one to support new authors (and always looking for any excuse to talk to hot women), I asked her about the book. Well, first I asked her if it was any good, then I told her to disregard the question before she answered. She laughed.

"It's about a dominatrix who becomes a serial killer..."

"Sold."

From Amazon:

Cassie Chambers, refugee from Middle America to New York's East Village, is a typical young woman, until she decides to become a professional dominatrix. When she is attacked by one of her customers and suffers a miscarriage, she decides to exact revenge on her male clients, enacting the murderous fantasies that have haunted her sleepless nights. In the tradition of American Psycho, Sex, Blood and Rock 'n' Roll is a shockingly graphic novel about the psychological development of a female serial killer, and a biting commentary on gender.

Now, that's just a little misleading.

Yes, there is a female serial killer in this book, but she doesn't really get her groove on until towards the end of the book.

But that's cool and the gang, because the rest of the book is so well written -- and uniquely written -- that I didn't feel cheated in the least.

Kimberly Warner-Cohen's style is one I've not read before. But her style really works, it's almost poetic.

Check this...

He's sitting alone on a worn brocade couch in Cafeggio, the place right off Bleecher with the hundred-year-old espresso machine. Shaggy black hair, green eyes haunted by his own shadows, looking like he survives on a deli coffee and Ramen noodles. Get my double espresso and pretend to look around though there are enough seats, slowly walk over. Illumination is coming from the fake gaslights, and the air is moist and sweet though it hasn't been raining out. Sit on the other end of the couch and rummage through my bag, pull out a wrinkled copy of On the Road. Ignore him and scan the pages, wait for it. When I put down the book to take a sip, he turns.

The majority of the book has this flavor, and it's a flavor, while admittedly takes a bit to get used to, really, really worked for me.

So, what is it about, if not a female serial killer -- as the back promised.

In a nutshell:

Girl takes job as dominatrix, starts to change, has a life-changing moment, starts killing men.

Good times.

The strength of this book is Warner-Cohen really manages to change the character believably. There was a natural transition from cool chick (pre-dominatrix gig) to fucked-up bitch. Well, natural as can be expected when someone starts to slaughter people. But it's, as mentioned, believable. And that's key.

If there's a weakness in the writing, it's that Warner-Cohen is almost too good with the gore. She is obviously not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am type of author. She'll sit her victim in front of you, and slowly and methodically dismember, maim, penetrate and torture him. Admittedly, there were parts I had to skim over because, fuck, man, I was too pussy to really read it. Last time that happened, Gonzales was fucking with a baby in "Survivor." And, like "Survivor," "Sex, Blood and Rock 'n' Roll" is not over-the-top gore. Yes, it's there. Yes, it's hard to read. But it's also well written and fits with the book. But if Warner-Cohen would ease up just a bit, she will reach a much broader audience.

Now, that said, there aren't that many parts in the book I had to glaze over. Maybe two or three. And, admittedly, it's hard for me to read about a guy getting raped by a dildo. But it's never "hey look how gross I can be!" It always fits the story, and it never felt forced or contrived.

But, on the flipside, Warner-Cohen can write a mean sex scene. Intense and erotic. And fucking hot.

I'm looking forward to her next novel. Her style isn't for everyone, but those who dig it will really love it.

I'm buying it for some friends.