What I am reading on my way to work. Because you care.


Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Devil in a Blue Dress hates whitey.

It's been a while since I updated this damn thing, but it's not for lack of reading, but lack of time.

My father found a bookstore in Columbia a couple weeks ago, and I ended up walking out with $40 in books, Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley being one of them.

I had seen the movie of the same name staring Denzel Washington and Don Cheadle (who stole every damn scene he was in), so I had a pretty good idea what the book was about.

Surprisingly, from what I can remember (I last saw the movie about a year ago), the film was pretty faithful to the book. The book, of course, was better and Mosley's got a pretty good style about him that I like.

The one thing I didn't like about the book (and it actually hurts it, some), is how much Easy Rawlins, the main character, distrusts whitey. Okay, fine, I get it. White people aren't trustworty. Stop shoving it down my throat.

I can credit it to the time (it takes place in the late '40s IIRC) when racism was a much bigger, visual, part of America and I can credit it to the character, but honestly, give it a rest already.

That is not going to disuade me from reading more of Mosley, though, because based on my first outing with him, he really does have a stellar voice and I'm more than willing to overlook the underlying hatred of the honkey for another book or two.

But if that is an underlying theme, I will unfortunately put him down.