What I am reading on my way to work. Because you care.


Thursday, July 14, 2005

Supreme Power

I'm damn close to finishing Central, but once again I was completely sidetracked.

First Fangoria, then Rue Morgue, the Monster series (which I still haven't finished) and, sometimes, that stupid card game on my cellphone.

More recently, however, it's been the comic Supreme Power.

Look, I've never been a fan of superhero comics. I've only liked three heroes enough to collect back in the day: Batman (Dark Knight), Daredevil and The Punisher. That's it. No Superman. No Fantastic 4. No Silver Surfer. A little Ghost Rider, but no Avengers.

But this Supreme Power. It's different. The best way I can describe it is what if Superman was a government project. In our reality. It's a kick ass spin on the whole superhero genre and the storyline hits a little closer to home (i.e. Hyperion doing some jobs in the Gulf War).

And what makes it even more interesting is the "heroes" involved in the novel are much, much darker versions of Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Aquaman (or, in this case, woman), Batman and, from my limited knowledge of superheroes, I'm guessing the Green Lantern.

The art is afuckingmazing and the writing is just the same.



Not your father's Superman.